Delinquency and Unruly

Hancock County Juvenile Court has jurisdiction over juveniles alleged to be delinquent or unruly. When a juvenile is found to be delinquent or unruly, the Court has jurisdiction to issue orders on the juvenile and the juvenile’s parents or legal custodian. All parties to the case, including the juvenile and the juvenile's parents or legal custodian, are entitled to court-appointed counsel if they are indigent. For information on making application for appointed counsel, you can contact the Court at 419-424-7066.

Depending on the individual case, consequences for delinquent behavior may include probation, curfew, electronic monitoring, house arrest, drug testing, counseling or placement of the child outside the child’s home.  In addition, the Court can order detention, fines, driver's license suspension, and/or community service. The Court can also order counseling and/or substance abuse treatment for the child or parents, when appropriate. For cases where the crime involved would be a felony if committed by an adult, the child can be placed in a residential facility or at the Department of Youth Services, which is the prison system for children.

Definitions of "delinquent child" and "unruly child" are:

The allegation that a minor (a person under the age of 18) has committed an act that would constitute a crime if the act was committed by an adult. (Ex: Theft, Prohibition).

A juvenile is said to be "unruly" when he or she will not follow the rules of home, school, or community and as a result, is subjected to penalties imposed by the Court.