Hancock County Recorder

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of my deed or mortgage?
There are few ways you can get a copy of your deed, mortgage or other document types on file in the Recorder’s office.

Come in and see us. We will use your name and address to locate your documents.
Give us a call. You may request a copy via phone. You will need to provide your name and address.
Search our website. Documents recorded from January 1, 1985 to Present are available online.

How do I record a document?
The Recorder’s office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm; daily recordings stop at 4:00pm. Just bring the document(s) and the appropriate recording fee along with a self-addressed stamped envelope (if mailing bank) in and we will get it recorded.

Mail-in documents are accepted too. Just mail all items needed to be recorded, including payment, self-addressed envelope, Conveyance forms (if document needs transferred), and recording instructions if needed. We work hand-in-hand with the Hancock County Auditor’s office to make sure all documents are transferred and recorded correctly.

Can I file my documents through e-recording?
The Hancock County Recorder’s office does accept electronic documents. At this time, we do only accept documents that do not require conveyance or required to be seen by the County Auditor’s office (i.e. Deeds).

There are four services that we use to accept electronic documents:

What type of payments do you accept for recordings and copies?
We accept cash or check only. Checks can be made payable to the Hancock County Recorder. Please include separate checks for the Auditor’s & Recorder’s office payments.

The Recorder’s office does not currently accept credit cards.

How do I search for my property?
To search for real estate documents that have been recorded since 1985, visit our online search. You will need the name of the property owner and address. A search cannot be done with a parcel number in the Recorder’s office.

If you do not know who owns the property or the property’s legal description, you may want to start your search on the Hancock County Auditor’s website to gather that information.

I paid off my house, when will I get my deed?
Your original deed is not held by the Recorder’s office or the bank until you pay off your mortgage. You should receive the original deed back shortly after closing. We suggest contacting the lawyer or title office you worked with for the original documents. If you did not receive it or misplaced it, we can always make a copy for you.

How do I change or add a name to my deed?
In order to add or remove an individual to your deed or change a name, you will need to have a new deed prepared. The Recorder’s office does not prepare documents, we only record them. We always suggest that you contact an attorney or title office to have a new deed prepared.

Can I get document forms from your office?
The Hancock County Recorder’s Office does not provide blank legal forms for deeds, mortgages, liens or other real property documents. We suggest you contact an attorney or title office to have these documents prepared.

Does your county have tract (geographical) indexing?
Yes, the Hancock County Recorder’s office have January 1, 1985 to present indexed alphabetically online only. Any records prior to 1985 would need to be searched in office.

What is the County Auditor’s conveyance and transfer fees?
The current County Auditor’s conveyance fee is $3.00 per thousand.
The current County Auditor’s transfer fee is $0.50 per parcel.

Where do I get a map of my property?
The Recorder’s office has plat records on file that consist of subdivision lots and condominiums. Our staff will gladly help you to obtain a copy of the plat and lot you are looking for.

For property with acreage, our office does not record surveys. However, there are instances where documents are recorded with a survey attached used as the document legal description.

For additional information about tax maps or surveys, please visit the Hancock County Engineer 

Where do I pay my property taxes?

Property taxes are paid to the Hancock County Treasurer.

For addition information, visit the Hancock County Treasurer website.

How do I obtain a birth or death certificate?

The Hancock Public Health maintains and issues birth and death certificates on file from 1909 to the present.

For additional information, visit Hancock Public Health.

Why do I need to file my DD214?

Recording your DD-214 is another way of protecting your military service document. It allows veterans a quick way to get the document if needed. Military discharges or DD-214’s that are recorded in our office are not Public Record. Proper identification MUST be presented to view or receive copies.

There is never a fee for recording or obtaining copies of your military discharge.

If you have lost your DD-214 or it was never recorded, the Hancock County Veterans Service Office can help you to obtain a copy by calling (419) 424-7036 or visiting their office website.

How do I get a copy of my divorce decree?

The Hancock County Clerk of Courts maintains court records pertaining to Domestic Relations. If you need to obtain a copy of your divorce decree, please visit the Clerk of Courts website.

Where do I find a copy of my marriage license?

For Marriage License records, visit Hancock County Juvenile Court website.