Hancock County Treasurer

To make things as easy as possible, we have listed a few of the most common questions and answers that we receive.

Q.) How much are my taxes?
A.) Call 419 / 424-7213

Q.) When are taxes due?
A.) Taxes are due in February and in July.

Q.) How are my taxes calculated?
A.) Two factors establish the amount of taxes you pay:

1st - The primary factor is the market value of your property. The County Auditor assesses your property according to market value not, historical cost. Every six years your property will be re-appraised. The last triennial update was 2000 and the next reappraisal will be 2003.

2nd - The second factor is the levies or additional taxes that the voters choose to pay in order to receive additional benefit or service.

Q.) What should I do if I didn't receive a tax bill?
A.) Call 419 / 424-7213 or visit us in person at the Hancock County Treasurer’s office.

Q.) Can I write a personal check for payment of taxes?
A.) Yes.  The check must be written to HANCOCK COUNTY TREASURER, along with the parcel number on check.

Q.) Do we accept Credit Cards?
A.) Only through Official Payment Corporation (OP) payment by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Click here for more information.

Q.) Can I get a paid receipt for taxes sent by mail?
A.) Yes, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with the entire tax bill and payment.

Q.) Have my taxes been paid?
A.) Call 419 / 424-7213.

Q.) What is the value of my property?
A.) Call 419 / 424-7015 or go to Auditors website

Q.) What are my tax rates?
A.) Call 419 / 424-7213 or go to Tax Rate Sheet  

Q.) What are Special Assessments?
A.) Special Assessments come in many forms. Your current tax bill will list the assessments on the left hand side of the bill. Call 419 / 424-7213 for more details.

Q.) Can taxes be paid in advance?
A.) Yes, in some cases. Call the Treasure Office at 419/424-7213 for more details.

Q.) Do we have automatic payment deduction?
A.) Not at this time. We are reviewing this program.

Q.) How do I make an address change?
A.) Per the Ohio Revised Code 323.12, any mailing address changes for property tax bills must be made in writing to Hancock County Treasurer, 300 S. Main St. Findlay, OH 45840.

Q.) Can I appeal the penalty amount?
A.) Yes, you will need to file a 23A Form. Call 419 / 424-7213 for information.

Q.) I don't agree with the value that has been placed on my property. What can I do?
A.) You have the right to file a complaint with the Board of Revision by March 31st. Complaints are handled through the Auditor's Office. Call 419 / 424-7015 for information.

Q.) My name has changed/been misspelled on my tax bill.
A.) Legal name changes are handled through the Auditor's Office at 419 / 424-7836. 

B.) Mailing Address changes are made through the Treasurer's Office at 419/424-7213.

Q.) Can I get a reduction in my taxes if I am disabled or a senior citizen?
A.) Possibly, This is called the Homestead Exemption. For more information call the Auditor's office at 419 / 424-7015.